Monday, January 01, 2018

The "Unofficial" Films of 2017 (Take One)




Another year has come to an end yet 2017, despite a lot of shit that happened, was a good year for cinema as well as a good year for me personally. Like all years before, there were a lot of films that I didn't get to see so here are the following 2017 releases that I hope to see in the near future: The Shape of Water, Call Me By Your Name, You Were Never Really Here, The Phantom Thread, The Disaster Artist, I, Tonya, The Big Sick, Atomic Blonde, The Square, Good Time, Song to Song, 120 Beats Per Minute, In the Fade, The Florida Project, Okja, The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected), Detroit, 24 Frames, Milla, Novitiate, Mom and Dad, Most Beautiful Island, Like Me, Sweet Virginia, A Ghost Story, Wonderstruck, Faces Places, The Little Hours, A Fantastic Woman, Coco, The Other Side of Hope, On Body and Soul, Loving Vincent, Foxtrot, The Villainess, Jim & Andy, The Vietnam War, Mudbound, Zama, Based on a True Story, Woodshock, Thelma, It Comes at Night, Ingrid Goes West, Landline, The Death of Stalin, Last Flag Flying, First Reformed, A Worthy Companion, Logan Lucky, The Trip to Spain, Columbus, My Friend Dahmer, Band Aid, Happy End, Lover for a Day, A Gentle Creature, L'Amant Double, How to Talk to Girls at Parties, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, On the Beach at Night Alone, and Loveless. Here are the best films of 2017 that I've seen so far...

1. Dunkirk



2. Blade Runner 2049



3. The Beguiled



4. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri



5. Wonder Woman



6. Logan



7. Get Out



8. The Last Jedi



9. Lady Bird



10. Baby Driver



11. Thor: Ragnarok



12. Spider-Man: Homecoming



13. Wind River



14. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2



15. T2 Trainspotting



16. Blade Runner 2022: Black Out



17. The Lego Batman Movie



18. John Wick Chapter 2



19. David Bowie: The Last Five Years



20. mother!



21. Tour de Pharmacy



22. Spielberg



23. George Michael: Freedom



24. 2048: Nowhere to Run



25. 2036: Nexus Dawn



26. Dante's Lunch



27. Whitney: Can I Be Me



28. The Defiant Ones



Honorable Mentions: R.E.M.-Automatic Unearthed, Diana, Our Mother: Her Life and Legacy, Descendants 2, The Beach Boys: Making Pet Sounds, & Eagles of Death Metal: Non Amis (Our Friends). Worst Film of 2017 (so far): Fifty Shades Darker

© thevoid99 2018

10 comments:

Brittani Burnham said...

A lot of these are on my prelim list too! I want to see The Shape of Water, CMBYN, Phantom THread, I, Tonya, and The Post before I make my list. Hopefully those comes near me shortly.

Kevin Powers said...

Top Ten-wise, we'll match up on Three Billboards.. and Lady Bird. Good stuff! Great year!

Chris said...

Great to see Get Out and Mother! among your top 20. I find there's lots of mediocre contemporary horror, but those two films stand out from the pack.

Was wondering if I should post a best of 2017 list myself. Like you, it would be an "unofficial take one" since I still have a "to-see" list for 2017 that I'm slowly chipping away at.

thevoid99 said...

@Brittani-Same here as there's a reason why I post an unofficial list at the beginning of the New Year as a way to remind myself that there's so many films I've missed out on.

@Kevin-Indeed.

@Chris-Agreed and yes, I think should do an unofficial list since there's so many great films to see that came out in 2017.

TheVern said...

Great great picks here good buddy. I sure hope Dunkirk gets some award buzz so they bring it back to theaters. I missed out on seeing Lady Bird in theaters in my area, and I hope that one comes back

thevoid99 said...

@TheVern-Lady Bird is worth seeing as it is a damn good film while I also hope Dunkirk gets some serious Oscar nods including a Best Director nod for Christopher Nolan.

Alex Withrow said...

Hell yeah, love that Dunkirk is number 1. Only movie that blew me away in 2017, but what a film it was. Also really enjoy that Tour de Pharmacy made your list. That thing had me cracking up the whole time.

thevoid99 said...

@Alex-I love Tour de Pharmacy for how fucked up it is. CHEETAH BLOOD!!!! Finally, John Cena made me laugh.

Alex Withrow said...

Great picks. Love that Dunkirk is your number one so far. Creating lists like these is difficult because it is simply impossible to see every movie. Happy End is my big blind spot of the year so far, because I virtually have no way of seeing it. When the hell is that thing coming around?!

thevoid99 said...

@Alex-That I really want to see as I'm a sucker for anything Haneke does. Even if he's making a bad movie. At least he find ways to provoke and cause some fucked-up shit.