Thursday, December 30, 2010

Blog News 12/30/10/Blogging Around


Hello Readers,

Before I post some news and blogs I want to mention.  I want to thank those who have been reading my blog and been posting comments.  It's feels good to be read and actually do something fun again.  Especially in what's been a very difficult year for me personally and emotionally.  Though I'm not sure if I'm getting better.  I'm hoping for something good to happen in the upcoming year.

For what is ahead in 2011.  For those who have been reading my work over the years at Epinions.com knew in early 2010, I had been planning a long marathon of films released from 2000-2009.  It was supposed to be a big marathon that would conclude with a long list of the best films of the 2000s (that isn't Lost in Translation).  Well, I was forced to cancel it due to my own personal issues which also led me to not write for a while.  Well, I make another attempt to restart the 2000s marathon with reviews of films I hadn't seen along with newly-revised reviews of the films I had seen.  I think it will take more than a year but at least it's something I want to do.

As for the films of 2010.  Originally during Xmas, I was supposed to go see True Grit but because of the cold, snowy weather.  I was unable to and I'm going to push it for 2011 along with a review of Somewhere which still hasn't arrived in Atlanta.  Other 2010 releases I hope to see are Peter Weir's The Way Back, Mike Leigh's Another Year, and Blue Valentine. I also hope to catch up on films that were released in 2010 so I can do a list of the best films of that year (which is likely to come out somewhere around the spring of 2011, yes I'm that pretentious).

The third part of the Auteurs series is definitely going to be on Todd Haynes while the fourth profile is probably going to be Terrence Malick in anticipation for the release of The Tree of Life coming this May which we all know, is the most anticipated film of the year. I'm also leaning towards Gus Van Sant as the fifth profile once Restless comes out as I hope to see a few shorts and his take on Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho for the project.

Along with DVD reviews of movies like Steven Soderbergh's Che, Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love, Lars von Trier's Antichrist, and Michelangelo Antonioni's L'Avventura. I'm also going to create a 10th Anniversary Essay one of my favorite films of the last decade and of all-time with Terry Zwigoff's Ghost World. I'm also going to make some contributions to the upcoming LAMBs Director's Chair on Francis Ford Coppola.  As for music reviews, I'm still on the fence about it. I've pretty much been very distracted with other things to keep track on what was happening in 2010 in the world of music. So I'm not sure if I'm going to do music reviews.  Even as I'm now thinking about returning to the world of screenwriting which I've been on a very lengthy hiatus from.  I'm going to make another attempt to restart that as well.

Now for world of the Blogosphere.

James at Cinema Sights has a great review of Black Swan out that I really liked.

Ed at Between the Seats has a great compare/contrast on the two versions of True Grit where he claims the Coen Brothers' version is better than the Henry Hathaway version. The latter of which starred John Wayne.

Andrew at Gman Reviews has a very funny review of The Tourist which ponders why in the hell did it get nominated for Best Comedy/Musical at the Golden Globes. Are we going to get a repeat of the Pia Zadora incident all over again?

CS at Big Thoughts from a Small Mind has a review of Tron Legacy that is pretty spot-on about why the film isn't doing as well as it should because there's not a strong story. And Hollywood has to wonder why revenue is down this year. Hello!!!!

Finally, there's Castor at Anomalous Material who gives a great in-depth take on the wonderful trailer for Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life which is already becoming a very popular trailer.

Well, that is all for 2010 (or is it?). Thank you and hope you all have a happy new year.

No comments: